Number of People Nice Enough to Stop By....

Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 8, 2013

ReCap 2/7 vs. Pittsburgh

Ugh.  Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, not even going to try.  As I worked late I was spared most of the awfulness that was the game last night, but that makes it no less painful.  I was treated to a sparkling Braden Holtby save during the Pens' seemingly endless run of power plays in the second period.  And then they ended up scoring their fifth unanswered goal.  Stop me if you've heard that before...oh that's right you have.  Because it happened the last time these two teams played not even a week ago.

Anyway, it was at that very moment that I turned the radio off for good that night.

I'm done trying to figure out what's wrong with this team.  Glutton for punishment that I am, I read Katie Carrera's column about the game in the Post.  Seems that the Captain, among others, believes that most of them lacked emotion.  Really?  Is that why the Penguins were so easily able to walk all over you?  And don't even pretend we're supposed to get excited over yet another Ovechkin power play goal.  Talk to me when you've figured out how to score five-on-five.

So now we have yet another issue at hand--lack of emotion.  As in the players just aren't into what they're doing.  This on top of allllllllllllllllllll the problems they already have. Great.  Can we say "blow up the team"?  Because it may just be time for that.  A miracle turnaround isn't out of the question for this season. However if this bunch isn't motivated for a game against what used to be a fierce rival, or any game for that matter given how compacted things are, then all hope is lost.  They may as well just finish out the season as passengers and await what happens on draft lottery day.

They've now imploded for two different coaches in the space of a year and a half.   It's time to start all over again.  I do understand what that means and the feasibility of certain moves (ridding themselves of a certain two very fat and ridiculously long contracts) might not be there right away.  But it still has to be done.  The Caps are going nowhere with this group and a wake-up call isn't forthcoming.  Which leaves only one solution.

Put everyone on the roster on notice.  No one is safe.  You want a job?  You've got to earn it, and your contract will be nowhere near what it was with the new CBA in place.  Because guess what?  That's how it is in the real world, a fact made painfully obvious to thousands of ordinary people every day.  Only their buyouts don't run into eight figures or more.. 

I'm done investing my emotion in this sorry bunch.  I will continue as a disconnected observer for now until they show me something.  Honestly. I liked them better when they were losing by one goal because of a stupid mistake.  At least for part of the game they cared.  Now it's painfully obvious that they don't. It doesn't matter that they called themselves on it, the old saying still applies.

You reap what you sow.  And this team is pulling up a bitter crop.


1 comment:

  1. Don't know if this is funny or sad or both. But as I look at my post list, I notice that this one is number 187. Make of that what you will.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Put it here, bring the smack if you want, but back it up and be respectful.